Acient record reveal that
before the establishment of the Chakri Dynasty, Phang-nga was adistrict
under Thakua-pa. During the region of Rama I of the Chakri Dynasty,
Phang-nga was given equal status with Thakua-pa and Thakua-thung.
And all three were removed from the former Thai Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and were put under the Ministry of Defense.
The best evidence indicates the Phang-nga was officially established
in 1809 during the reign of Rama II, When one of the periodic wars
with Burma was raging Padung Kasatri, the Burmese king then, appointed
Ah Therng Woon to lead an invasion on the southern town of Thailand.
Burma’s ship-borne army attacked Thakua-pa, Thakua-thung, and Thalang,
and carried off the populations to their fort. The town of Thalang
was razed to the ground. Rama II appointed his younger brother,
Prince Saynanurak Kromphraratchavangbovon, to lead an army down
from Bangkok to drive away the invaders.
During the war some of the local people took refuge at “Kra Phu-nga”
(Malay for “mount of Phu-nga river), which was surrounded by mountains.
After the war Prince Saynanurak saw that Thalang had been too badly
damaged to build a new town, so he decided to move the people of
Thalang to “Kra Phu-nga” and registered the new town to be under
the administration of the government in Nakhorn Sri Thammarat. There
is still a village in what is today Thakua-thung district called
Thalang, founded by those immigrants from Thalang in Phuket.
During the reign of Rama III, the central government thought to
strengthen the southwest coastal towns that were prey to Burmese
attacks by appointing a governor for each town, each governor reporting
directly to Bangkok. Phraya Borrirak Phuthorn (Saen Na Nakhorn)
became the first governor of Phang-nga in 1840. Later on, in the
same year Thakua-thung was reduced in status and became merely a
district of Phang-nga.
Phang-nga’s Provincial Hall was first built on site at Baan Chai
Khai. In 1930 a larger one was built at Baan Thai Chang. The Present
Provincial Hall in front of Phoong Chang Cave was built in 1972.
Phang Nga Province
• Local Food
• Getting There
• Getting Around
• General Info